Successful participation to the EMQN quality network on our DNA sequencing performances in 2016
European Molecular Genetics Quality Network
The European Molecular Genetics Quality Network (EMQN) is a provider of External Quality Assessment (EQA) services which are essential for any laboratory seeking to maintain and provide a quality service. EMQN is a not-for-profit organisation promoting quality in genetic testing by establishing, harmonising and disseminating best practice. It provide accredited (ISO 17043) confidential EQA for over 700 member labs worldwide in collaboration with many organisations including EuroGentest, CF Network , UK NEQAS for Molecular Genetics, RCPA QAP, RfB and the EAA.
EMQN had grown rapidly over the years, and as its reach extended, a scaleable management system was required with support for defining, running and managing its many EQA schemes.
EQA Scheme participation, based on volunteering, helps to improve specific testing quality and demonstrates laboratory's commitment to a professional level of service.
EMQN’s EQA schemes are designed to test the whole analytical process of a molecular diagnostics laboratory; the ability to interpret data in the light of clinical information supplied with a referral, and to produce a clear and accurate report.
- Participants receive 3-4 samples with mock clinical referral.
- The laboratories have 8-10 weeks to perform the analysis and report their findings.
- Assessment includes genotyping as well as interpretation and reporting.
- All reports are independently assessed by at least 2 expert peer assessors.
- Participants receive their marks and a final report showing any general take home messages and improvement needs.
BIOfidal participation to EMQN's EQA scheme and results
In 2016, in order to test our repeatability and reproducibility data from trials and improve the quality of the implementation of our methods at the analysis level, BIOfidal has successfully participated to the EQA technique-specific scheme based on the DNA sequencing - Sanger (Data Quality assessment) with:
- Results at an acceptable level of performance classed as "green" (Optimal performanance ranking: decile indicator of 1 on 10)
- A Quality Read Overlap (QRO) at 100%
- Only 14 on 47 French laboratories, including BIOfidal, that participated to the EQA have a QRO at 100%
- Only 7 on 21 French laboratories, including BIOfidal, that use the Big Dye 3.0/3.1 chemistry have a QRO at 100%.
The Quality Read Length for each samples (FW and RV) were combined together yielding a region of data, the QRO, where data were obtained in both orientation which can be considered as adequate for diagnosis or for reliable analysis. The QRO is expressed as a percentage of the maximum possible QRO which is the number of nucleotides between the ends of the FW and RV sequencing premiers on the target DNA. The QRO represents the data from each pair of reads which can be considered as "reportable quality".
Based on this successful assay, BIOfidal's team ensures you DNA sequencing results with the best quality that anyone can provide you.